PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B717 Heavy Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 14:12
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
In the real world, the $$ quantum difference is quite substantial, not a couple of percent, and the major issue is regulations/awards working hand in glove to produce world leading lack of productivity ---- solve that problem and heavy maintenance will in large lumps come back on-shore.
Hoping to see contract maintenance here again is probably a dream too far, sadly.
I am right on the airline's side on this one, we have lost tens of thousands of skilled jobs offshore thanks to the ratbag regulations.
The cost disparity is now so great that even top end GA aircraft are going elsewhere for major checks.
As I have often remarked, Qantas has not built the newest and arguably biggest hangar at Los Angeles just to park their aircraft out of the SoCal sunshine.
Tootle pip!!
I'm with you but I do think the balance has shifted a bit too far... but I managed union members (and I'm generally pro-union) but some of the claims were completely ludicrous. In also laugh when I hear the bleating about it somehow being safe to ONLY have the maintenance done here. Those that look back on the 'good old days' of QF forget that for quite a while after QF got their first 747-238Bs they were maintained by United Air Lines in San Francisco because the fleet wasn't large enough and the skill hadn't been developed yet... that reasoning was pretty much the same as the reasoning for keeping A380 maintenance off shore because of small fleet size. Back in the 70s is was logic, today it's blasphemy!!! Can't have it both ways.