PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 01:14
Una Due Tfc

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Copenhagen
Be careful. Northern Ireland can't be throwing stones on this subject, We live in an economic black hole.
  • London government subsidies us all by nearly 6k per person per year,
  • A quarter of the NI GDP is a subsidy from London!
  • 30% of the workforce works for the government...
And with all of that 'investment', NI still has terrible roads, invisible railways, piss poor airports, - shall I go on?
Westminster subsidises the NI civil service by £13.5 billion a year. There might be red buses driving around England about that next. You’d think that would put enough in folks pockets to sustain a scheduled long haul route or 2. On the plus side after Brexit those United subsidies won’t be illegal anymore. Maybe they’ll come back.

As I’ve said before BFS’ best bet going east is Turkish airlines on a narrowbody once they’ve settled in to their new home in my opinion, but there’s all sorts of delays with that so that could be a couple of years off yet. I’d have though QR was unlikely given their smaller route network making relatively niche airports like BFS a harder sell but they surprised everyone when they launched Cardiff so who knows. They do have A321LRs on order.