PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounce, bounce, bounce
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2003, 01:56
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree - as everyone else has said, if [ever] in doubt, go around!

It is a question of attitude: I used to think of G/A as a kind of failure... but if you think of it as what it is, a safety option, then you might not feel so bad about doing G/A.

When I take carb-heat off on short-short final (say 200') I am remeinded that this is the reason why we take the carb-heat off: so that we can go around with full power available. So if you think about it at that stage then you should be in the right mind-set, i.e. "ok, carb-heat off, able to go-around, all looks good, continue..." type thing.

Sometimes I suppose people may be embarrassed to go around with passengers aboard. As others have said, even 747 captains have to do this sometimes! I have had to go around with pax on board several times - having imagined this would alarm people, I haven't found it to be so. I keep up a constant patter on the intercom as I land anyway, so they'll hear me say e.g. "turning final, 600', crosswind seems to be xxx, PUF check, carb-heat off... going around - don't worry folks, no problem, just need to go around due to [whatever]" (usually seems to happen when I have misjudged the base turn, or due to poor spacing from the runway on d/wind, ending up too close / too high on final.. I find I am particularly prone to this when trying to do the constant-aspect approach required at RAF Benson - must book some practice )

Anyway, I think g/a is much less alarming to pax (or instructor!) than a bounce!

Don't worry mate, stick with it and get back in the saddle ASAP.

Best,

Andy