PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wingly - Flying for reward or not?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:42
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I originally started this thread and I think the conclusion was that before the CAA was going to do anything about 'Wingly' type operations we would need a fatality.

We now have the Malibu fatalities and while not a Wingly flight, in terms of 'hire and reward' it is now open to questions, likewise the qualifications of the pilot. To add to this there is now an interesting prosecution in relation to illegal public transport of a flight that crashed into a field while operating out of Manchester Barton in 2017 as follows:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...lford-15785933

The charges include endangering the safety of an aircraft, endangering the safety of a person, flying without an air operator certificate, acting as pilot without holding an appropriate licence, flying an aircraft otherwise than in accordance with the limitations in the flight manual, operating an aircraft without insurance and flying without the aircraft flight manual.

The final charge is an odd one 'flying without the aircraft flight manual. Having said that the pilot expected to make a profit of £1000, and the defence is going that the weight and balance was an error of judgement! I suppose the pilot's lawyer could also claim the wrong type of wind.

Is all the above going to be enough for the UK CAA act?

Last edited by anchorhold; 6th Feb 2019 at 12:03.