PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 6th Feb 2019, 07:30
Seagull201

Originally Posted by roger7060
Dear All,

I hope all of you are doing absolutely fantastic.

I have been a silent member of this wonderful forum from past 11 years now! Wow 11 years and no posts. Reason for that is that I am an aviation enthusiast and not a professional aviator. I just enjoyed reading various experiences shared by different users in the past and tried to visualize myself in those situations.

A bit about me. I am 36 years old, married male with no kids. As most of you, I always wanted to be a pilot but my finances never allowed me to pursue my dream and the country I come from (India) is also not the best place to pursue flying.
I have total around 13 years of work experience in IT field most in Fortune 500 Blue Chip companies. All these years 2 things which always remained at the back of my mind were flying and performance cars.

Around 4 years back I received my permanent residency of Australia and I am moving there for good by end of this week.
During my research for the move, I also started searching for flying schools with hope that since I will be in a "First World Country" now I might be able to pursue my dreams. Thats when I came across REX Cadetship program.

Just for the sake of fun I applied for it and received an email from them inviting me to take WOMBAT test.

I have the following queries for the same -
  • Do they invite everyone for the test? I am 36 and most of their cadets in the past are aged between 22-26. Do I really have a chance keeping my age in the mind
  • What can I expect in the WOMBAT test. I mean I have read about it. But can I buy a copy for myself for practice or anything similar to it
  • I have read on the forum that for most of the guys they took a Physics/Maths test post WOMBAT. The email I received does not mention anything about it. Should I ask them about the test?
  • What is your opinion about the whole scenario in general? I mean is it really feasible at my age and circumstances
Note to the Mods

I know that there is a "Mega Merged" thread for rex and "Am I tool old..." but my queries don't fit in there. Please don't delete this thread.

Thank you,
Kind regards.
Donny
Hello,

I've read your post and i have read what other usernames have advised you, BUT you have asked for help!
So, i presume this situation is important to you!

The way i have read your story, you are coming to OZ, with your partner and you are an I.T person, but you love aeroplanes and want to be an airline pilot.

REX is the quickest and BEST way to become an airline pilot, through their training programme.
I agree.

I agree, because, a person gets the CPL/ME IR qualifications, then does a type rating programme for the SF 340 aircraft and works as an SF340 co-pilot.
A person doesn't have to do ATPL theory exams.

Reading your questions, i haven't done the WOMBAT exam, BUT from what I understand, it's about, following some ball on a computer page, testing a persons
concentration and alert levels, from the results of THIS exam, it CAN be determined, if a person will pass the aviation course, in the required hours!
You can find information on the WOMBAT test, by google.

I have heard there are Maths and Physics questions, you CANNOT get an exemption, YOU have to COMPLETE their exam.

LOOK, since you are coming from overseas, in MY opinion, YOU, have to UNDERSTAND, that you are NOT alone, you have a partner,
AND you CANNOT throw ALL your money into aviation!

Aviation training is expensive, that's correct, about 85K for a CPL, another 30K for an Instrument Rating on a light twin, another 25K,
for a flight Instructor Rating, that's 140K to fly general aviation aeroplanes.
If you are bringing from India $150K (AUD value), okay, i would say, DO IT!

If you DON'T have the money for flying training, then PLEASE tell me, how you can do this?

If you are coming to Sydney, rent, IS NOT, under $430 a week for a 2 bedroom unit, plus, 4 weeks bond, living costs for you and your wife, aren't under,
$300 a week, then throw on top of that BILLS/UTILITIES (Electricity/Insurances), your MINIMUM WEEKLY EXPENSES, are at least $900 a week.

YOU can forget about flying!

What i'm saying is, ALL Australian cities have high expenses, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND, get an IT job and work in THAT industry and learn to fly part time,
OR, when you CAN.

Get your CPL/IR/Flight Instructor Rating, and EVENTUALLY, work part time as an instructor on weekends, then decide, what you want to do in the future!

If you sign up for the REX programme, THERE IS a FINANCIAL COMMITMENT, involved, if you HAVE money to pay for flying training and accommodation/living expenses,
for you and your wife, good, you can do it!
I'm talking about at least $200k AUD. (Flying training/rental accommotion/living expenses for 18 months).

Just remember, Australia IS NOT a mickey mouse country, there is a price and standard that NEEDS to be achieved, in all aspects,
AND it COSTS, a lot of money.

GET yourself an IT job and enjoy flying and life!
You will make the decisions DURING your journey, what ever you decide to do!

What, i'm saying is, I don't want to see you get into a financial MESS, IF you don't have the money to PLAY this AVIATION GAME!

Wishing YOU, all the very best!

(Note: I'm not yelling, when i'm writing in capitals, just highlighting).

Cheers