PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 6th Feb 2019, 01:10
roger7060

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
Sound advice above, particularly learning to fly on your own terms.
Your written English is an obvious strength, so you should be able to find work in IT or another communication discipline meantime.
Another angle could be to suss out a large flying school which trains pilots on behalf of an Indian or Chinese Airline. There are several, mostly based in medium sized regional cities. Maybe do a deal whereby they train you through CPL to Grade 3 Instructor, then you work for them to build P1 hours.
Use spare time to complete ATPL subjects. If the current hiring boom lasts a couple more years, you could have an airline co pilot job by age 40. There are better gigs to be had than Rex, but if that is your scene, they always have a pilot turnover. A job without the burden of cadetship would at least enable you to bail out if it did not suit.

The idea of earning the big bucks in another profession and simply flying privately for pleasure is not such an appealing alternative. Read elsewhere how GA in this country is almost extinct and obscenely expensive. In any case, droning around this wide, brown, flat land of ours in a bugsmasher would bore any intelligent person to tears after a while.

Good luck in your ambitions.
Thank you for replying Captain. Much appreciated.
I cannot sponsor my CPL and Type rating at this point of time. Maximum I can afford is maybe a CPL. I have read everywhere that without the hours and type rating it is almost impossible to secure a job.

I have been writing to different schools in and around Sydney, CPL alone will set me back by AUD 85,000. I have checked with SOAR aviation and they have a part time CPL program which is of 2 years and will cost around AUD 85,000.