PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eric H Day - Aviation Artist
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2019, 20:03
Always a Sapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmm 5 mins research on flea bay leads one to question if something may or may not be quite kosher....

Key thing would be just how Eric Day signed his work off. Was the signature consistent across his works ie 'Eric Day' or 'Eric H. Day' and did he always put the year the painting was done after his signature either as two characters such as '89 or four characters such as '1989'
  • Auctions 302822681352 & 312452351480 are rare(?) prints that show a Vulcan over Lincoln Cathedral and have a Eric H. Day signature with a 1984 date after and just below the sig block.
  • Auction 302822738589 is for a print titled 'Killer Cat' and has a 'Eric Day' signature, but date after. The seller describes it as 1986.
  • Auction 233121602177 is for a print of a C130 supposedly in the Middle East with a 'Eric H Day' signature but unlike the Vulcan print signature there isn't a full stop after the H and before the Day. Also doesn't appear to have a date either.
  • Auction 233119076425 is for an original water colour, titled 'The Nettles' with a 'Eric Day' signature dated '89. also, when looking at it, while there's no question it's a reasonable painting it is somewhat lacking in sharp detail when compared to the other examples of his work being offered.
flea bay is sadly known for offerings of dubious provenance, not that I'm suggesting that these are. Just putting my thoughts out there, it's for the buyer to do the research and make their own mind up before buying. However, I will say that I have found (as a buyer) that they are very quick in refunding should the buyer have doubts and the seller is reluctant in taking it back.

And finally, yes I did miss the original painting that started this thread off. Laptop died at the wrong time otherwise I'd have been in with a max 2 seconds to go before the end and it would have gone to a SAPPER! Always snipe on ebay, tis the only way....