PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2019, 19:37
AyrTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The course is very intense and generally if you are from Scotland you will find it time consuming and expensive to get home. You really do have to put in a lot of extra hours of study outside the college times.

This next bit is a copy and paste from Flying184 from the 27th of January. I think the info is more or less correct.

“The additional training venues are to increase training capacity given the level of demand across the UK and the reduction in training facilities at CTC that happened a few years ago. The Union are also keen for training to be brought back totally in house.

- Do you get to submit a preference for which training location you would like or is it completely random?
If successful, you are a student and you get sent where there is a training space. You do not get a choice over Aerodrome/Approach/Area. That said, I believe you can opt out of the Spain option given that it is overseas.

- Is the full 6-9 months of college based training delivered at Global/Jerez, or just the 2 month basic course?
Global: 3 months Baisc, 3 Months ADI and/or 3.5 months APS as I understand it. This does not take into account breaks between courses. Spain: European basic course (4 months) and then back to the UK to do ratings at CTC as I understand it although stand to be corrected! There were rumours on here they were starting to deliver Area training at Jerez too but I am not sure.

- Do students at these locations all go down the aerodrome/approach route or do they also deliver area training?
Global do not deliver UK Area ratings and so if you went to Global you would do ADI/APS ratings. This does not mean you would go to an airport though.... there are plenty of APS only units such as Aberdeen Offshore, Aberporth Ranges, and of course a very big APS group at Swanwick providing approach radar for the main London airports. I believe there is currently a group at Global who have done Basic and APS and are destined for Swanwick approaches. I often read stories on here of people thinking "oh it'll never happen to me" to then find out they are off to Bonnie Scotland to do Aberdeen Offshore (which is a very interesting operation let it be said!)

Hope this helps. I cannot stress this enough..... you really need to understand and accept that if successful NATS will place you where THEY need you. This includes both training space and posting should you complete the course. E.g. Aberdeen is a very realistic posting, as is Belfast, Glasgow, Aberporth Ranges, Swanwick etc..... regardless of whether you have family in the south of the UK, children at school etc. If this is something you are not happy with, then I would really suggest another route into ATC!”

Last edited by AyrTC; 5th Feb 2019 at 20:47.