PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top of the World: photos from Nepal
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2019, 17:58
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
Many, many years ago, as a young, impressionable engineering student and boat fanatic, I was visiting the Earls Court Boat Show (biggest, best boat show of the biggest best, fastest and most expensive boats, in London, for those not familiar with it.), with a university friend.

We saw a gorgeous-looking power boat, in bright red, with 2 big shiny stainless steel propellors, a glossy varnished wooden deck, and a notice telling all about the twin 1,000+ BHP engines 'under the hatch'. There was a young salesman standing by the boat, and a few onlookers. We asked the salesman if we could look at the engines, and he said "no", the boat was beautiful enough as it was. He then said he was going off for a cup of tea and would be back in 5 minutes.

My friend and I immediately opened the hatch to reveal the most wonderful looking engines, with red HT leads, and highly polished exhausts. Very quickly, a crowd gathered round, and all we heard was endless comments about how beautiful those engines looked. There were loads of people all crowding round to get a glimpse of those engines.

After 10 minutes or so, the young salesman re-appeared, fighting his way to the front through the crown of potential customers gathered around the boat. Somewhat put out, he quickly shut the hatch, and reprimanded us for opening it. Almost immediately, the crowd dispersed, and it was just the 2 of us left, penniless students, feeling rather sheepish at being scolded by this chap no older than our 20 modest years. My mate, who was bolder than me, turned to him, and said "Top job, mate, you really know how to sell boats, don't you?"

And so we walked off, the last 2 onlookers, leaving the salesman to his beautiful boat and an empty stand. Who knows how many multi-millionaire potential customers he just turned away; no one will ever know.

Well done, PPRuNe - you've just done exactly the same as that rookie boat salesman.