PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luckily the dead engine wasn't dead after all.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 12:44
threep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Flight Global website 5th February 2019

"Once airborne the first officer “misinterpreted” the N1 speed reading of the right-hand engine as a vibration of the left-hand engine, the inquiry states.
The first officer called out a beyond-limit vibration of the unaffected left-hand engine and, as a result of the incorrect assessment, the left-hand engine was incorrectly shut down around 30s after rotation.
Thrust of the problematic right-hand engine was increased and the aircraft was left to climb on this engine alone for over 3min.
The first officer, says the inquiry, “repeatedly” advised the captain, incorrectly, that the left-hand engine was experiencing out-of-limit vibration."

I would post the full link but I'm more of a lurker and haven't posted enough times yet to be allowed to post a link.

I know its a pressure situation, but identifying the wrong engine for shutdown when the instrumentation clearly identified the correct engine is a bad error.
How can high vibration indications be made clearer to avoid mis-reading which engine has suffered damage? I'm not familiar with the cockpit display in the 737, presumable its graphical rather than spell out "HIGH VIBS LEFT" ?