PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police attend light aircraft crash at Nottingham
Old 5th Feb 2019, 09:56
ShropshirePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@eckhard I salute you! There used to be an AA5 club aircraft near me but the endless damage it sustained meant it was replaced with a more forgiving Archer 2. Personally I love the AA5 but the springiness of the damper free undercarriage means that the landings need to be well executed as you will well know. I went up in the one I used to fly recently and (with most of my flying now in Archer 2 or Cherry 6) was amazed at how much smaller they feel. One of my friends bought a Cheetah a few years ago and it was either a total nail (probably) or woefully underpowered. It was sold and replaced with a PA28.

I'm only reflecting on what I have seen of low hours pilots making all sorts of crass mistakes in the AA5 - including mashing the nosewheel spat having pushed back from the pumps. My only really terrible arrival in the Grumman was at Alderney many years ago when my pulse rate went off the scale, but at least the second attempt was better and no damage resulted!