PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 controlability-questions & surprises.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 09:24
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have studied and flown actual unusual attitude recoveries in PA28 and Zlin aircraft and A320/321/330 and B737 in the SIM, but at no time has anyone mentioned, demonstrated or allowed me to practice rolling from a nose high attitude to allow a nose to drop. This is my point.

If you find it extraordinary, have a go at my instructors and flight training school.
I am not the slightest surprised if no one has demonstrated the nose high recovery in the 737 simulator where rolling to the nearest horizon may be the only way to lower the nose. Boeing wouldn't publish that advice in their FCTM unless it was a proven method to prevent a nose high stall. Unless military trained, not many instructors are even aware of this escape method which is precisely why no one has shown you in the simulator.

Many years ago an airline captain colleague of mine who flew fighters in WW2 was flying a Tiger Moth. With no warning,an elevator cable defect caused the aircraft to pitch up sharply at lift off. The elevator was ineffective in lowering the nose. He managed to roll the aircraft to 80 degrees angle of bank which dropped the nose to the horizon as he planned. The same sequence occurred again - that is a severe uncontrollable pitch up. Again he rolled hard to get the nose to drop to the horizon.
He completed three gyrations like this around the airport until he managed to get the wings level at 20 feet and touched down on three points just as the next pitch up was occurring. In his report he attributed his survival to an instructor who taught him this manoeuvre even before his first solo - which was in a Tiger Moth as it turned out.