PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 controlability-questions & surprises.
Old 4th Feb 2019, 17:13
Uplinker

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus
What an extraordinary admission! It is basic stuff used even on Tiger Moths. There is no mystery to it. 200 hour cadets undergoing 737 type ratings are taught in the simulator how to recover from an UA.

Extract from B737 Classic FCTM.

Quote: If normal pitch control inputs do not stop an increasing pitch rate, rolling the airplane to a bank angle that starts the nose down should work.
Not at all. I went to a professional CAA approved flying school, and did a full time integrated approved CAP509 course.

I have since done 7 full type ratings on large passenger types and been flying commercially for 17 years. I have studied and flown actual unusual attitude recoveries in PA28 and Zlin aircraft and A320/321/330 and B737 in the SIM, but at no time has anyone mentioned, demonstrated or allowed me to practice rolling from a nose high attitude to allow a nose to drop. This is my point.

If you find it extraordinary, have a go at my instructors and flight training school.

I also notice that the section of FCTM you quote says ‘should’, not ‘will’. I am not sure if normal line pilots ought to be trying fighter jet or test pilot procedures they have never practised?

(I have never yet got a big passenger jet into an unusual attitude, but I will remember this procedure if I ever do in the future )

Last edited by Uplinker; 4th Feb 2019 at 18:03.