PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 NG Alternate FWD CofG
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2019, 03:29
ATPJon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More to consider

Fwd CG for take off requires an ADM supplement that has to be purchased for specific airframes and turned on in the software. Also keep in mind transport aircraft are certified using procedures that require staying within 35 feet of the centerline using only aerodynamic controls during VMCG testing. Since the aircraft does not leave the ground (or only briefly because the intent is NOT to go fly) during VMCG testing we don't care about drag but about control. So in this case we want a short arm for the rudder because that reduces the rudder's effectiveness giving us a worse case scenario.

There is a lot more to all this than meets the eye. Until I attended Airbus and Boeing training and worked as an Aircraft Performance Engineer I too believed a lot of the myths and half truths we as pilots are taught. My other experience includes 5,000 hours total time GA and 121 turboprops. Taught and maintained B757/767 and DC-10 aircrew material at UAL. Three years experience as an Aircraft Performance Engineer.