PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Type 31/ Cadet TX Mk.3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 12:33
621andy

Location: Either somewhere in the 3rd world, the land of cheese and wine, or possibly very occasionally, at home.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First flight at 621 at Weston on the Mud in the barge WB991 and several subsequent AEG flights in Mk3s before solo in WB922 (The Royal Barge) at Syerston after 4 days training on 12.8.81...
Went on to be a Staff Cadet at 621 VGS for 6 years... We used the Barge(T21) for AEG and all training was in the Mk3. At our peak we had 4 Mk3s(XA310, XA308, WT877, XN240) and one barge(WB991).
Someone mentioned Dawn to Dusks: I think we did 303 launches in '83(?) as a 2 winch school. This included a fair amount of normal training with landing all over the field as well as 'spot landings' for the AEG stuff. In the last hour I think we did 53 launches by which time we were landing on the waiting cable and keeping the same crew to break the 300 barrier. I think my total was 48 launches with the first one at sunrise and one of the last at sunset! We lost some time early afternoon due to a snarl-up I seem to remember... I also remember someone had wired up the rubber headsets to play music from a Walkman so we took off on the first launch with 'To The Unknown Man' playing in our ears

I also remember one of our Landys used to be a hearse and had a hand-throttle which meant we could set off with the Mk3 trailer on the back, set the hand throttle and climb back onto the trailer and influence direction(steering is too grand a term for it )by using winch strops wrapped through the steering wheel.

Happy days...

Strangely enough, our 621 Vintage group still has WB922 flying and XA310 too!