PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounce, bounce, bounce
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2003, 20:24
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a mindset thing ... on occasion I've caught myself thinking "I've decided to land" and stopped thinking about going around. (Eg when floating sideways towards the edge of the runway.) Almost always wrong. During the sequence you describe the pilot shouldn't have reached this stage - he should always have had going around as a live option.

I have occasionally suprised an instructor by going around from a landing he thinks I could have rescued(*) - maybe I could, maybe I couldn't, but a go-around is never wrong when training and a go-around is never wrong on the test. (That's what I've always been taught anyway, any of the examiners here like to confirm?) And professional pilots on other forums say from time to time that a go-around is never wrong in a 747 with hundreds of paying passengers in the back.

(*) When in a new aircraft I've taken to practising a go-around from one of the first iffy approaches even though I'm quite sure the landing could be rescued. Even better, I suppose, would be to practice in the air first, so as not to try out the pitch change with full throtle and full flaps a few feet above the ground ...