PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2019, 12:01
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy

Certainly not during my aeons at the company.

I think can see how it could work quite well somewhere that has limited nightstops but I think it would tough to do it on BA Shorthaul with the mix of day trips and tours, and probably a complete non starter on Longhaul where you have anything from the odd (very odd) day trip right through to the 9 day trip down to SYD on the 777.

FWIW it was decided at said company that it wasn't possible to implement Fixed Patterns on the LH aspect of the company but it worked REALLY well on the SH side where we were doing almost exclusively day stops all over Europe. The flying was a mix of 1-4 sector duty periods. Not everyone was on it or indeed wanted it but the ones that did want it and got it were generally very happy with the rostering part of the job.

I'm just thinking maybe BALPA could have made real inroads into improving conditions for our SH colleagues rather than just chasing money money money (and not much of it at that in this particular claim!) The numbers clambering to achieve part time would suggest money isn't the be all and end all. Possibly a conversation for another thread but just my thoughts.