PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 30th Jan 2019, 19:31
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Eutychus
.... Meanwhile the silence here with regard to my repeated questions on CI flying practices I perceive to be widespread is deafening.
I'd not read too much into that silence Eutychus; I think what this has brought home to so many is that the world of "grey charters" of various guises is, in fact, far more widespread than the majority of us ever imagined. Yes, we've all probably had suspicions on odd occasions, maybe when seeing a light aircraft depart in marginal conditions with some smartly dressed occupants from any one of the many dozens of airfields and even private strips in the UK. But, usually, you have no real idea of the circumstances surrounding the flight so you have little grounds for intervening as a bystander. But this sad event has turned the spotlight on this area and more and more one feels that what one maybe sees is only a small part of the story – who really knows?

Now, while I totally understand that the C.I.s are far more heavily dependent on aviation for day to day life (I’m no longer flying there myself sadly) whether ACI/GCI/JER are any more “wild west” than, say, the half dozen big GA fields around London is very hard to say.

You have clearly used the occasion to educate yourself which is fantastic, both for yourself and for those who maybe rely on you. However, I think the only way this genie will be at least partially curbed is (a) by Insurers and, for rental aircraft, (b) by CFIs at Flying Clubs taking a far closer interest in what is happening. The latter check will not curb misuse of privately owned aircraft and, one could argue, if you are breaking the rules in knowingly operating an illegal charter using your own or a friend-of-a-friend’s aircraft, the mere fact you are invalidating the insurance is probably not going to worry those doing so. Just one more illegal act in a flurry of illegality is hardly going to cause such people sleepless nights! In due course, back that up with (c) clearer legislation but (a) and (b) will certainly make a dent in the problem that seems to be out there.

A thought. Just maybe Emiliano has done far, far more for many, many people in the future than he could ever have imagined he could have. While, sadly, he may never thrill the crowds on the pitch or become that International player or whatever his career held in store, just maybe, as a result of this and any changes that come out of it (which I hope they do) he will have helped prevent other deaths and even more importantly, those many unreported “near misses” which escape from being an accident by the closest of margins. His name being linked to this has certainly raised this thread’s profile with even non-aviation friends of mine asking me about it. Small consolation for his friends and family I know – but if it had been me as pax that night instead, this thread would have ended on Page 2 - as did the thread on Dave and Simon in Spain. H 'n' H