PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - for what's it worth
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2019, 16:47
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vessbot
​It feels like we're speaking two different languages without realizing it. How are they two different skill sets? What's the difference between the two things you're talking about? Yeah there's also flying visually, but that's not relevant here as in an airline environment we're flying nearly 100% IFR (I'm being forced to point out the extremely obvious.)​​​​​​

In your previous post you said after your incident you knew you were still able to do it. To me this implies that before the incident, you didn't know. What changed?
No one's forcing you to point out anything pal.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as I think we're getting in a muddle here. I was referring to hand flying the aeroplane earlier in the conversation and the capacity that can sap from the operation. That lead to me saying there are times when it's simply not appropriate to do it, especially now that the skies have become incredibly busy. Whether you're doing it while referring to instruments or looking out the window wasn't my point hence me dividing the skill sets. Knowing how to fly purely on instruments and being able to physically hand fly the aeroplane as well as we used to be able to as our hand flying skills all inevitably degrade over time makes them two separate issues.

And nothing changed, I think you're getting confused. I was simply referring to an incident where we had no choice but to hand fly the aeroplane and the capacity that sapped over the 2 1/2 hour flight was staggering. While fairly rewarding at the end, ultimately it was pretty knackering too.

Hope that makes it clearer for you.