PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Airlines (HKA)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2019, 14:15
cxorcist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PushRed
Salary was paid.

I too have heard the same rumour of A330 downsizing and its not great!

My source indicates 11 A330s will leave and its not just due to financial issues. Of those 11 machines leaving 6 are PW powered, of which two have been grounded for months anyway. Those engines are coming to the end of their life cycles and PW4000 engines are almost impossible to find and replace. The two ex Emirates RR 200 series are going, in-fact one of them was grounded basically since it arrived as parts for its sister. Hainan is also taking back the three RR powered 200 series without IFE, they never belonged to HKA and eventually were always going to go home.

In return we are getting back three A320s from HNA starting in March or April and will continue with the A350 deliveries.

HKA must streamline and cut the fat were possible. The 3 A320s that we will receive are actually our machines. The books are being opened to prospective buyers so cutting the excess will make things look better and what is ours comes back to us and what's HNAs returns to them. Redundancies are the last resort and the figure is actually closer to 100 that need to be placed. Many guys have taken the Non Paid Leave option with some taking two years. Some will be pushed back onto the A320 and some will be moved up onto the A350 as and when frames arrive. My understanding is that some may also be seconded to HKCargo on a temporary basis as I hear they are still short.

The good news is the company will continue to operate, yes there will be a downsize in the short-term and yes the company is starting the long process to find a new owner.

HNA must sell HKA period..

I predict no growth for the next two years until CAAC decides which of the 'China Big Three' takes us. My bet is on China Southern. Forget the Singaporeans or Qataris. CAAC ordered the debt repayment so now its out of HNAs hands thank god!! Onwards and upwards.
Would CX be permitted to buy it? In most countries with reasonable antitrust laws, it would definitely be deemed illegal, but in HK, who knows? The place is run by, of, and for the big corporations.