PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2019, 10:48
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by directimped
What ever happened to packing a suitcase and heading into the bush? A lot of fun and teaches you valuable skills. If you are a sharp youngster, you will be picked up into a regional or better within a few years. I wouldn't give my GA time back for anything, some things you just can't learn in the right seat of a jet.

My 2c.
Normally I would agree with the above, however the industry (read legacy airline HR) is moving away from hiring GA pilots.

The quickest and what appears to be the most reliable route are these cadet style schemes on offer by the parent companies.

Not to thread drift, but if you look at the USA the same thing is happening to some degree. The legacy carriers are aligning themselves with flow through programs for there wholly owned regionals, or preferential interviews for contract carriers that fly their brand.

That being said I wouldn’t change my GA/helicopter experience before jumping into the airlines either for the life experiences it provided me. But these days I recommend new guys to jump on the train that’s going to get them a seniority number the quickest.