PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 29th Jan 2019, 21:58
keni010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRUTHSEEKER ... Thanks for that ... the only experience I have of crossing the Channel is many times from around Folkstone to Cap Griz Nez ...the old LAC (Light Aircraft Corridor) so long trips over the sea were never part of my flying ... though I did once fly almost directly from Ostend to Southend (EGMC) ... I was very young at the time and should never have done that in my opinion now. I believe in keeping sea crossings as short as possible and having the height to glide to land from mid channel for example. When I was in my early twenties I didn't really think about this much and used to cross the Channel at 3000 feet. This would only have given me around 8 or 9 miles of glide in a PA28 according to what I was told back then, though I have subsequently learned that this was probably a little optimistic? Possibly 6 or 7 miles with 2 on board and full tanks. (Tanks filled in order to get the customs drawback on the fuel.)
You mentioned in an earlier post that Casquets Island had been referred to in regard to the route taken by this plane. Overflying this island or thereabouts, would be on a direct flight path to Cardiff.

Last edited by keni010; 29th Jan 2019 at 22:14.