PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A321 Flap mis-selection
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2019, 16:47
Smokey Lomcevak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been there - done that. I was 6 months into my career and beginning to feel comfortable... We were in the slot; Descent and approach had gone swimmingly so far, and workload was really rather low.

We were sitting at about 160kts on the glide path with managed speed the target. On F3 selection, the thrust came on as S became the target. With no obvious reason behind it - we were concerned about over speeding Vfe conf 3. My partner intervened by closing the thrust levers and disconnecting ATHR, but by that time the energy was all too much. We went around. When he said “GA - flaps”, I thought it was strange that the flap lever was at 1, and decided i’d best not move it. It did not occur to me, however, that it must have been me that put it there...

Neither of us picked up the error at the time. Downwind, after the subsequent missed approach, we put two and two together. The upshot from the wash up on the ground, and the subsequent phone call from the office, was the same as “effects of controls 2” - that is “Limitation, Opeation, Indication.”

I wont forget that one.