PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing's Sonic Cruiser revised to Mach 1.8 ?
Old 10th Dec 2001, 17:18
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have the usual dumb post from 411A - denegrating the technology of an aeroplane that is no older than the L1011 which he seems to love so much.

On more intelligent matters, when you look at the drag curve 0.98M never made sense - so why did the Boeing guys not see that before? Surely someone there must have done an Aerospace engineering degree? Whether the aeroplane will ever be cost effective enough to buy and operate is another matter - only Boeing will be able to decide that. However, I do feel that it will be good for the industry to have a successor to Concorde - even if it does come from the wrong side of the Atlantic. Thelead time will be such that Concorde will be on the way out as the (Super) Sonic Cruiser comes in.

Modern computer modelling will help to reduce the effect of booms - but I still doubt that it will be allow to drop booms over land. US government subsidies (sorry - NASA Research!) will ensure that whatever engine is required will be available, too.

However, will there be enough trade to see it sell? There will have to be more than just the North Atlantic and unless it can do West Coast USA to Japan non-stop it will lose it's advantage over convential craft.

Interesting times ahead for Boeing - I hope for their sake they have it right this time (unlike 747X and 757-300).