PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319/A320 Auto Thrust
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2019, 13:47
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uplinker: wish not to derail this, only protest seeing what I found not to be true. That the "on a jet pitch controls path, and thrust the speed" is the proper new trick opposite to the classic Pitch(+trim) control speed, thrust adjusts the sinkrate.

I'd call the p=p & t=s way the flight-director method, but since nobody told me to change over, I use the latter and it works perfectly - without the FD. My take on the merit of "On the jet" is that it might have applied to single engine, centre-line thrust jet fighers after the WWII prop era, and later for 727/Caravelle/TU104/TU134 tail mounted machines. Sure, adding thrust would just speed you up. But is is not any magic of the propulsion, but the old pitch-power couple not being there. ATRs work that way too. The teaching is valid but misworded. Pity 411A is not here to share what it was like.

I did only a little 737 time, but adding one fistlength of thrust to recover from a half-dot below GS, while keeping the A/C trimmed for the speed and steady with pich, was in my experience by far the easiest way to get back, providing for a more precise handling. I admit openly that on Airbus FBW it becomes a blurred argument due to the presence of the auto-trim. On the flip side, you know well that the autotrim only poorly masks the pitch-power couple. On a gusty day if A/THR kicks in an additional 10% N1, a pro-active push on the stick is needed to keep from balooning up.

For my next Direct law ILS coming in two days, i will keep the pitch at 2,7 degrees and use half-inch TL movemens up and down to manage the energy and chase the G/S. Works like magic in manual reversion too. But that is just a personal preference which gives me a more nicely polished result, since nobody untrained the old ways off me.

The p=path & t=speed works too, everybody to his liking.