PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My health record
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2019, 12:12
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerry111
I've not tried to opt in or out previously.
“Opt in” - wow, now that would be an idea!

Every official argument I’ve heard in favour of MHR is that it supposedly exists to help you.

Yes, there will be a small percentage of people with particular ailments who could or would benefit from MHR. So if it might help you, fine, go for it. Those people should be able to opt in.

But for the rest of society it’s unlikely to help you, but your data will flow across IT systems beyond your control, and may one day hurt you. And if you think that data will be deletable in the future, then I have a harbour bridge to sell you.

I listened to the head of MHR on ABC radio yesterday trying to explain why MHR was good, and it appeared from his conversation that most of the benefit of MHR was actually about protecting doctors from litigation rather than any actual benefit to the patient.

He wasn’t even hiding the fact FFS.

Now, he is an ex-director of the AMA, so don’t think for one minute that he cares about patients - he has spent a large part of his working life protecting the pay, conditions and interests of doctors. He’s obviously done a good job at that, and maybe AFAP or AIPA should employ him, but I digress. My point is, even he couldn’t provide a good argument for why average Australian’s should have a MHR that would actually benefit them.

Here’s a hypothetical: If my 12yo son with a MHR has a stress-related migraine this year, and we seek treatment or medication for it, and it goes away and never recurs, it will be on his MHR record.

If, 10 years later, he gets his CPL and hours and applies for a job with You Beaut Airlines, they will have access to that record. They may have a policy of not employing pilots with a history of migraines, even if he has a Class 1 medical, and it only happened once, 10 years ago.

Now before you say that Airline recruiting departments don’t or shouldn’t have access to MHR, who knows who will have access in 10 years’ time? The Government reserves the right to change the rules at any time without your permission.

And even if they don’t “officially” have access to MHR, major airlines employ doctors, and doctors have un-fettered access to your records - so the reality is, the airlines will have access to your records. In fact, there are so many health professionals with access to your records, that odds are, if you walk into a crowded train carriage, at least two people in that train carriage will have access to your record.

Airlines could even employ (or have access to) emergency doctors who could access your so-called “hidden” or “deleted” records.

Note: I’m not implicating CASA in this hypothetical, that’s another discussion, I’m pointing out that MHR could be used against you commercially, or for discrimination, way outside the objectives being “sold” to us, even under the current rules, let alone any future rules.

So “Opt Out” unless you have a good reason to be “In”.

And for the sake of your kids, unless you have a damned good reason to have them in, opt them out. Let them opt in down the track if they choose to do so, when they become of age, and can make their own decisions.

At least we are being given an opt-out option at this point in time, as adults. What about our kids? They should be in charge of their own digital future.

Last edited by Derfred; 29th Jan 2019 at 13:18.