PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - for what's it worth
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2019, 11:38
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vessbot
I would argue that a few dozen hours in a bugsmasher with foggles in clear weather and with an instructor/examiner in the other seat, does not adequately prepare someone for doing it in an airliner flying twice the speeds down to minimums, with oneself in command.

I'm trying to understand this statement. Can you please explain it?

Wouldn't you be comforted by knowing that you can "do it" BEFORE you were forced to by external circumstances?

It seems to me like an oddly cavalier attitude to carry on with everyday flight ops without being worried that you don't know you can fly a descent and approach.
Have you read the previous comments before writing this? Or had you had few drinks?

Not sure how I’ve come across as cavalier. Being continually proficient at flying on instruments has nothing to do with being able to fly an aeroplane manually. They’re two different skill sets and both are required to get through an initial IR. Later in life we use automation to remove some of the workload of doing both. Can’t be any more clear.

In terms of being comfortable, I’m very comfortable thanks. And not in any doubt that I can safely fly a descent and approach either manually or automatically. But being able and comfortable doing something doesn't mean it’s the right thing to do. Right place right time as said above. Or should we all turn everything off at T/D and hurtle down into the London TMA flying manually? We could all meet in the car park and congratulate ourselves on our amazing flying skills.

🙄🔫