PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospects for future upcoming pilots in East Africa
Old 28th Jan 2019, 15:40
kibz2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markaveli23
Hi Sankara,

First off, I’ll remind you that no investment is 100% guaranteed. You may start a business with the cash and it fails or on the extreme end you may start flying and God forbid fail a medical. Your hard earned money will come and go, pursue you dream so you may never live life wondering “what if?”.

Why did I do my training here?
The reason I opted to do my training here was because from my previous industry I understood that relationships are key to getting ahead. I weighed in on saving up and going to S.A or USA for training and figured that
1) I’d be away for 2-3 years and have huge license conversion costs 2)
When converting, the few schools that can do it here will take advantage of you since they think you have lots of cash from abroad or come from a wealthy family
3)I have no paying job in either industry when I return
4) Nobody knows me and I am just another C.V stacked up with the rest.

Someone once told me “People do business with people they like and they trust” It’s no surprise hiring works the same way.
In those years I have trained here (training standards may not be the best) and had to make up for my instructors shortcomings by my own reading and asking more experienced people to share knowledge. If you do your training in the region, expect it....

....One of the big advantages of training here is that you will build relationships that could be key to you landing your first flying gig and getting a foot in the door.....

Clear Skies and tailwinds!

Very nicely put. That's some solid advice there.