PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 27th Jan 2019, 19:45
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
common purpose - contd.

Originally Posted by mryan75

FAA letter of interpretation in the Flytenow case.
Thanks for the reference. It includes " In addition, this pro-rata sharing of expenses is further limited by the FAA's "common-purpose" test, which requires the private pilot and all expense sharing passengers share a bona fide common purpose for their travel." . However, I don't see any indication as to where that common purpose test is defined. Perhaps there is additional information in the referenced FAA letter of interpretation but that letter is not disclosed.

I did find a reference to "common purpose" in 91.501 but that reg is specific to "the operation of large airplanes of U.S. registry, turbojet-powered multiengine civil airplanes of U.S. registry, and fractional ownership program aircraft of U.S. registry........"

With cost sharing being quite common it would be good to have a clear reference to a specific regulation, advisory circular, or publicly available FAA letter of interpretation. Not trying to be awkward. I have a genuine interest in the subject both as an owner of an N reg aircraft and as a CFI.