PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2003, 09:37
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here to Help

I can't and wouldn't attempt to mount an argument to your comments.

I learn't a long time ago to deal with realities.

The Government has decided what and when it will happen, they can not say that the issue has not been vigourously canvassed.

I could give you a list several miles long on "policies and actions made or taken" that neither you nor I voted for or agree with, but that Governments (both of em) have decided "are good for us" against the advice of just about everybody around.

In so far as "wrinkles" are concerned and I know I will get myself into trouble here with the analogy, but here goes.

I am of an age that allows me to remember the introduction of synthetic fibres to our clothing apparel.

I can still remember the first awful wash 'n wear nylon shirts that were the rage and the care needed, when ironing them, to avoid melting iron shaped holes or melting the buttons in them. They were sticky and uncomfortable, did not abosrb sweat and were IMHO an abomination, but they did make mothers life easier.

They were easy wash 'n wear, didn't need the boiling, beating, damping and starching sweat shop in the laundry of the old way.

We have come a long way in fabrics since then, because the long term advantages were understood and by listening to the market and continuously refining the product synthetics and blends are almost exactly like natural ones, are nearly as comfortable and are heaps cheaper.

Whether this is a good thing as far as the social and economic issues that have arisen in the production of the natural product, it is probably so that we could not grow or afford to buy the natural product nowadays to meet the demand.

For whatever reason they are now an integral part of our life notwithstanding my childish stubborness in avoiding the wearing of such to school.

I have a personal idiosyncrasy that still has me prefering pure cotton, wool and linen shirts and other apparel for its comfort, look and so on. For reasons that have ensured a happy 33 year marriage I wear the blends for work wear, but for casual and "sunday best" it's the real thing for me.

I still have to damp down, like gramma, the pure cotton and linen shirts that my wife simply refuses to iron in the presence of the availability of the synthetic and easy care mixes that are now predominant. I will admit that the spray on starches available now have made the "pricklies" from grammas home made stuff obsolete.

What am I getting at? Even such simple change can be uncomfortable and it would be easy to just say NO, but there were other forces around us and mother was only ONE, with which to reckon in this case, but she wasn't the ONLY driver the main ones being availablility, cost and convenience.

The best blends have a high natural fibre content (the experience and lessons of the past) with the best of the synthetics (the new way) in balance.
It took some getting here from there, but we are now pretty much wrinkle free.

If you can afford it and have unlimited labour resources and access to a permanent ironing lady you can stay "natural" all day long.

That has all changed.

May I suggest that we have the same basic scenario going here.

Runs and ducks for cover.