PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 27th Jan 2019, 13:52
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
I join posts #690 and #691 above. We had life insurance to cover our mortgage which covered aviation only as passenger in a multi-engined aircraft flown by a pilot of not less than commercial rating. They wouldn't budge (very wisely, it took about 400 hours to discover how little I knew) so instead of flying we paid off the mortgage instead. When I started a business later my partners and I took out life insurance on one another, and I was charged 15% extra premium to cover my PPL/IR activity.

The Wingly helo advertisement earlier is appalling, Wingly is clear that whatever their insurance covers it is not helicopters, and 70 hours is little enough on fixed wing never mind a helo. My message for those contemplating such a trip would be to go for it if you're a youngster with no dependants or debts. If you have commitments, understand that you will have no life cover as required by mortgage companies so your dependents will lose their house; if you suffer permanent injury you won't be compensated unless you can fund a claim against the pilot whose negligence you will have to prove. Good luck with that; and fellow Pruners will forgive me if I have a certain cynicism with regard to insurance companies paying out.