PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR4 last flight
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2019, 10:36
Just This Once...

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Vendee
The Mk103 engine was initially fitted to the Germany based squadrons. I don't know when the Mk101 was finally retired but we were certainly still using them at Honington in 1989. I would imagine that TTTE were the last unit to use them.
I am sure there was a plan on Mk103 roll-out but it seemed to be pulled in all directions. The first idea seemed to be to equip the UK operational squadrons with the 103, as they would operate heavier and longer sorties (back then even AAR probes were a rare sight on the Germany-based squadrons). Then the plan shifted with idea that the UK would keep a common standard across the UK op and training fleets. This plan was upset further by the (UK based) batch 7 jets being equipped with 103s at build (sometimes being swapped to 101s) post delivery; then the mixed bag of engines on the converted GR1As; then the big stir of jets and engines for Granby and finally the GR1 draw-down, relocation plan and op/diamond mini-fleet-within-fleet. The net effect even in the mid-90s the engine type was something you noted at the F700 stage, especially with the de-rating of the 103 and the latest wire-locking-of-the-month with the TBT datum switch.

About the only thing I ever noticed was that the TTTE jets always felt quick in the dry range and that a fully-rated 103 in a new batch 7 jet, with just pylons fitted, accelerated through M1.0+ quicker than we both realised (sorry Blackpool). I seem to remember that these jets were delivered without the ramp actuator system in place, rather than just deactivated. It would have been nice to see just how quick they could have gone - the faster you were the faster you got faster!

As an aside the cut-and-shut GR1A (cannot remember the tail number) refused to go above M1.0 in standard Deci ACMI fit. It also yawed a fraction with an unnerving canopy howl when you tried to push it. It was also on the 'just say no' list of aircraft for display flying.