PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 27th Jan 2019, 10:11
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sillert,V.I.
I know there are many here who believe a flight of this nature should never have taken place in a piston single at night.

That said, the aircraft type was designed for this type of mission when flown IFR by a suitably qualified and licenced pilot.

If this flight had been planned using this aircraft, but IFR using the airways at a sensible flight level, it would almost certainly have ended uneventfully.

How difficult would it have been in practice to have found a suitably qualified CPL/IR to captain this flight?
How would he know what the tops were if the flight was planned for 5k and under the CAS and which I assume was not intended to be flown on a clearance? He appears to have choosen to descend either to find warmer air or to get out of visible moisture in order to avoid iceing or reduce a build up in progress. Why would climbing to airway flight levels if indeed that was even possible if he already was experiencing icing been any better of a choice than descending if the tops were unknown to him?

Genuine question about airman/woman decision making, not focused exclusively on this tragic accident.

Last edited by piperboy84; 27th Jan 2019 at 10:41.