PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - for what's it worth
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2019, 10:02
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long time retired now but just a thought ; are the regulatory licence revalidation exercises carried out with all the automatics connected ? I too enjoyed entry at highly selected level in the 70's. Basic pilot training was more difficult than today. Yes, we really did stalling, spinning, steep turns, recovery from unusual attitudes etc. I enjoyed quite a few heavy jet transports winding up on widebodies. I enjoyed increased automation as it made life easier. But final stint on a fully automated was least enjoyable. NO, you are not disconnected from the autopiliot, ever and no, the thrust levers are not throttles but thrust selector levers, etc, etc, etc. My point is, though, when it comes to Base check, I/R, comp exercises etc for you to prove to a Licence renewal examiner of, for example , your "CONTINUED ability to fly in controlled airspace, in IMC, in manual control " ( a requirement throughout my airline career for I/R renewal), do you chaps just push the buttons & let the autopilot do everything ? Lots of dumbing down going on here I suggest. Do you even call it a Base check, I/R ? I feared the change when it was renamed " Long event, Short event, CRM,....oh and whatever happened to that daft "Advanced Pilot Qualification Programme criteria ? Don't even get me started on non selection, Bank of Mum & Dad for financing, basic pilot training skills avoided because they are irrelevant or ( I have heard it said) too dangerous (!).

Mate of mine had the misfortune to be employed by a cowboy outfit in the nineties that discouraged handflying. He argued back (fatal) that in the right conditions, it honed basic skills and was, anyway, bloody good fun in perfect wx conditions. He continued to dig his grave by telling the CP that in order to pass the regular sim check (hand-flown exercises ) he would need to practice a bit, eh ? CP replied, with a smurk, that they made concession in the sim for the fact that the line pilots were encouraged to use, only, full automation, on the line from gear-up and 400ft beyond. For concession, mean, dumbing down.Accepted a lower standard from it's pilots then (?).

Like major air transport modern tech prangs (AF A340, GF A320 for example) moderntraining route , fully checked out and rated pilots had no idea what was going on when confused by autofunctions. In my day, autopilot out, autothrottle out, I have control...........now, what the F is going on as we are back in control........worked everytime.

OK. Agreed. It is what the beancounters demand. They bought us the high tech aircraft and when operated in full automoad from 400ft to to roll-out , ARE , very financially efficient. So, make the training fit the end product. Dumb it all down because you need no real piloting skills or background to pull back the stick, then, positive clb, call for gear up & co-jo actually reaches for and places a gear select lever in the UP position (wow) 400ft, autopilot on, Lnav, Vnav ....now what (?) oh yeah, hit the call bell & ask the CA what's for Dinner ! Agreed, shame to take the money.

Like the other old & bold bods on thread, glad to be out of it. Blimey, even my new motor has keyless ignition, several drive options that take away any skill required on the M25, Crz mode speed control, no need for spare tyre, drive for ages up to 80km/hr on a flat (ish) tyre.Gosh, need a drink (manual top up) and must read up on what to do if the speed control jams at 100 , Must move on eh ? Next, I will advocating that Nasa Space cadets must prove ability for a full manual launch, manual orbit escape to warp factor 6 & fully manual entry, descent, & landing at hostile planet. Not gonna happen eh ? Ah, forgot the modern expression, ....."It is what it is" !