PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to become a Microlight instructor or Recreational Flight Instructor
Old 27th Jan 2019, 09:31
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gerpols
Ladies, Gents,

I am the holder of EASA CPL FI(A) SP-SE. Night, LAPL,SP-ME, IR-SE,IR-ME,PPL,CPL
My question is : what do I have to do to teach Micro lights ? What do I have to do to become a RFI ?
Although I am living and working in The Netherlands, EASA ruling should be the same wherever you go in EASA territory !
Microlights are Annex II - so they are not EASA aeroplanes. Hence each country does their own thing.

Here in Britain any EASA instructor with microlight differences can teach on microlights, or there is a dedicated microlight AFI/FI route available to holders of both national and EASA licences. Both routes are viable, but with an EASA CPL + FI, you just need microlight differences and enough experience to be competent.

But the rules will be different in each country, so you need to find out what they are in the country in which you wish to instruct.

Whopity is quite right that microlight operations are different, and you do need that experience - but there is no certificate for it.

G