PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greed
Thread: Greed
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2019, 09:14
Obie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in 1964 I joined Airlines of SA, a subsidiary of Ansett Airlines, and checked out a few months later as a very proud First Officer on the DC 3.
Shortly there after, I walked through the terminal at Adelaide Airport one morning, to sign on for a flight, and heard a very frustrated male customer at the check in desk complaining about the fact that he had been bumped from his flight to Port Lincoln, with his wife and kids, due to an overbooking. He was not happy!
The captain I was rostered to fly with that day was an ex WW2 Spitfire pilot who I had not met before. After sign on, and introducing my self to him, I told him about the cock up I had witnessed at the customer check in desk. I have never forgotten what he said to me... "Son, when you've been around as long as me you'll learn that the airlines are not here to serve the public, the public is here to serve the airlines!"

Having spent 40 odd successful years in aviation since that day, and am long retired, that comment to me is as valid today as is was back in 1964!