PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospects for future upcoming pilots in East Africa
Old 27th Jan 2019, 07:51
physicx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

From my point of view finding employment in Kenya is in itself a challenge, more so in the aviation sector.
After completing all your training you may find it very hard to find employment or even get access to employers hiring staff, Imagine dropping your CV to a watchman!. Its all about the right ''connections''
You will also notice very few firms advertise on job openings and that those that do just do so to meet regulations (Google pilot jobs Kenya vs South Africa etc). Hiring is also very biased based on ethnicity (yes i said it ).

Another thing to consider is that you may not get the dream job you envisioned, You may get a job that sends you ''out-station'' to war torn countries keeping you away from your family for long periods of time. These are places you cannot invite your loved ones to visit!!

The buck does not end with acquiring a licence, pilot jobs have plenty of requirements that everyone cannot meet i.e Minimum total hours, minimum hours on type, Type ratings and finally keeping up with renewals of medical, licenses & ratings.
It can become an investment that never ends with very low returns.

There are plenty of young pilots with no jobs and are willing to fly for minimum pay or even for FREE! Guess whose going to get the job

I hope my view on this matter helps you make an informed decision.