PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relative bearing methods
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2019, 05:27
double_barrel

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks! I will stick to the clock method.

A couple of minor points

Originally Posted by Whopity
The only time you use the clock code is to point out an aircraft position to another person in the aircraft. If you add colours to it, there is the possibility of confusing that with the navigation lights on another aircraft which if its coming towards you will be opposite to your own.
I have in the past called coastguard helicopters from boats and said something like 'I am on your green 45'. That was certainly understood. In fact it is especially when referring to a position relative to another vessel that I find it most intuitive. I think of a boat (or aircraft) as having a green side and a red side whereas left and right are potentially confusing. To me, that also helps make collision avoidance intuitive; in both boats and planes, when crossing, if you see a red light or the red side, you need to give way, if you see green you are 'stand-on'. Red danger, green 'clear', makes sense to me.

Anyway. Not trying to be a smartarse, obviously there is no point in using an obscure personal system! I will stick with the clock!