PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bathurst races this weekend
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2003, 07:47
apache

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let’s consider a road transport analogy.
There are two toll gates on a two-lane motorway. One is a traditional toll gate that is staffed by a person collecting cash. The other toll gate is a more modern automatic drive-thru type that uses a transponder in each vehicle for electronic billing. Only vehicles fitted with a suitable transponder can use the automatic toll gate.
I arrive at the toll complex in my transponder equipped vehicle. There is a slow moving queue of about 30 cars at the manned toll gate, but traffic is driving through the automatic toll gate at about 80 km/h. I have to decide which lane to use.

Does “professional courtesy” dictate that I should line up behind the 30 cars at the manned toll gate, even though my vehicle is suitably equipped to use the more expeditious automatic toll gate? I think not.
This is the most ridiculous analogy I have ever heard. It would be more suitable if you were talking about Sydney with parallel runways and twin ILS's.

But why should the crew of an aircraft that is able to carry out a GPS arrival from the south feel obligated to suffer the same delays as those with outdated avionics?
I think that we may have been talking about different things here, if this is what you think is what happened. What REALLY happened is that the learjet conducted the GPSNPA onto rwy17, whilst other traffic was queued up to do the RWY17 NDB!!! And there is the conflict!

Anyway, enough said methinks.... so how did the races go this year ??? any dramas ?