PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows on channel 5 - 'Kings Of The Sky'
Old 26th Jan 2019, 09:17
PPRuNeUser0211

Received 180 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by orca
I think the programme is brilliant - and I’ll be honest, I’m impressed by what they do - but have never been an an out and out fan of the nation possessing an aerobatic team from a capability stand point.
My only pick up point is the voice over to the opening shots which implies that the team are all combat veterans...which I’m not sure is correct.
I think that there’s something appropriate in the frugality of the set up. Just my opinion but white boards and traditional accommodation is spot on for a unit practising close formation in Hawks. They do it very well and they’re coming across brilliantly.
Orca - not having a dig, but I'd be interested to know how many people in the RAF who have operated a front line aircraft at the present time are NOT combat veterans (if we define "combat" as an operational tour where where some operational effect is delivered, for the sake of our multi-engine brethren.)

As for the reds, I'm pretty confident that all of them have done a det or 6 to a sunny eastern med location or, even better, further east. I stand ready to be corrected though, there's always someone who manages to buck the trend.