PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2019, 08:55
GROUNDHOG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caaardiff
I don't think it was ever confirmed, and was always rumour that CWL wouldn't do a deal with FR that would meet FR's requirements. Things were very different back then, it must've been 2006. That was when TUI were growing, bmiBaby were still growing, there were numerous other Tour Operators like Goldtrail still going, long haul was growing and things were looking up at the Airport. I'm not sure of timescales for FR pulling out but Air Wales folder in April 2006 too. The Airport were probably being a bit over confident and thinking they didn't need to make deals with FR. Things have taken a big change since then, and there's a lot less options for CWL and Airlines to pitch towards due to so much consolidation happening in recent years.
FR seem to be working well with CWL at the moment, especially after the recent APD press release, but no Airline will favour good relationships over business, especially FR. Provided FR are getting what they want, they will stay, if they don't, they'll pull the plug. You could argue that is whats happening at BRS at the moment. EZY and TUI/TCX are dominant in their markets at the moment. Why FR haven't expanded is anyones guess. BRS may not be willing to give FR the deals they want and are comfortable that their other carriers will pick up the routes, that where FR are being stagnant and looking to the other Airports in the region, (CWL, EXT, NQY, BOH) that you could argue are desperate and all have catchments that are leaking to BRS.

Just for the record can I reiterate once again that Air Wales didn't fold or go bust or have unpaid debts. The decision was taken to cease commercial operations. Two very different things!