PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold soak effect a320
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2019, 02:28
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Pudding
Many years ago, I used to fly 737-800s for a UK tour operator. We had a recommendation that we did not tanker fuel to land above 5400 kgs (2700 kgs each wing) as there was a chance of a cold soaking effect, meaning a possible need to de ice. Does anyone use similar procedures or recommendations for your aircraft type particularly the A320 which is what I now operate.
I don't believe it's an inflight issue while tankering, but more an issue having to do with dispatch after having arrived while tankering.

I am not aware of a safety issue during the inflight phase (probably due to the rarity of encountering water particles etc and the formation of the resulting thin ice on non-critical surfaces including self-sheddings at high airspeeds)

However should one encounter near freezing icing conditions on-the-ground The cold soaked fuel may affect dispatch of the flight and will probably result in a larger sheds during rotation.
All this can be countered by requring a more diligent inspection for ice on a tankering aircraft if near freezing conditions exist at that airport at the time..