PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2019, 21:53
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shamrock7seal
Does everyone agree that both BOH and SOU are our regional airports for this region? I regularly use both depending upon what i need to do whether its a connection on from CDG/AMS/MAN or BOH for a low cost flight to Europe.

If we do agree, then surely it's better (for example) if Rigby were to buy SOU and sell it to housing development (for what I imagine would be a massive return on investment) and consolidate everything at one large and flexible airport with improved transport links and bus services across the south much in the way BRS current does it. They don't have a train line nor do they appear to need one.

I fear if something is not done in this regard then SOU will plateau and BOH will not become better for all of us in the south. We need an airport to rival that of BRS for both Southampton/south east and Bournemouth/south west.

I am eager to hear other opinions. Apparently many years ago it was suggested that both BOH and SOU be closed and a new airport in Totton be opened. I would think that is worse for the environment.
The men in white coats will be along shortly. That or you are a troll. Here is a newsflash for you, no one wants to fly from BOH and history proves that. The only reason it remains open is because of all the accrued rent from the occupiers keeps it afloat. It’s basically an industrial estate that happens to have a runway attached. The minuscule commercial traffic it enjoys (3 departures on a good day?) is ancillary, and let’s not forget all the passengers are only paying a few quid (google the word yield). SOU actually requires an airport, it is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, the fact it is the cruise ship capital of Northern Europe for a start blows wee little BOH out of thewater. Easy Jet will be opening a base in 2020 and the airport will go from strength to strength. Flybe’s position is irrelevant, the routes they fly are all tried and tested and have been flown for years and years. There will be plenty of other operators rubbing their hands together at the prospect of swooping in. I think what sums up BOH is the first post you see on the BOH thread which says “a small increase, but an increase!” I wonder who posted that.....