View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2019, 04:28
autojohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RVDT
autojohn

Pr = Pressure regulated

Pg = Pressure governing

The PTG tells the FCU by biasing the Pg pressure relative to the fixed Pr pressure. It is simply a lever with a face over the end of a hole in a jet.

To change the bleed out of the jet to a different value means that the lever will be in a slightly different position to maintain that value = droop.

The difference in the value Pr/Pg = fuel flow required to maintain onspeed at the higher load. The onspeed condition where the lever arrives at equilibrium will be different.

Droop stops hunting or instability - imagine if there was no speeder spring - wouldnt work at all.

Droop compensation from the link to the collective adjusts the speeder spring load to remove the effect of droop but the characteristic is still there just masked or compensated for.

Most mechanical systems that I have seen in helicopters are overcompensated. Nr or N2 will rise with the application of collective and vice versa (if correctly rigged) This deals with the rate of change in power setting.

Lookup PID controllers - in a mechanical governor you basically only get P = proportional.

FADEC you get the lot - Proportional Integral and Derivative

Where the Bendix has an issue is the quality of the air it uses - smoke particles corrosion and other detritus accumulate on the lever and on the jet face and wear it out as well as changing the jet size.

Even FADEC's are not immune as they still sense P. On the PW200 series, for example, they put a tee in the P line that feeds a rather cunning setup that uses air flow to the output shaft seal. Where the P is sensed at the tee there is no flow
just pressure. Guess where all the dirt likes to sit!!

I hope this makes sense.
Hallelujah! I think I'm finally getting it! I've been thinking about his Pg signal incorrectly (like a binary control signal)

I think you're saying that the Pg/Pr differential biases the FCU speeder spring continuously across the range from flight idle fuel flow up to max power fuel flow. At flight idle, you need the biggest differential to suppress N1. This corresponds to the lowest Pg => most open port => highest flyweight position. The beeper lets you tune this to 100% for variation in Pa. At max power, you need the least bias = highest Pg = closed port. The Pg jet is the most closed so the arm is displaced the least => maximum static droop! (please let this be right ;-)

The compensation cam just adds a bit of tension to the spring so that you really need a bit more RPM to get to this almost closed arm position.

I hope I'm getting closer and I appreciate your explanation RVDT!