PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 24th Jan 2019, 20:23
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vikingarmike
I get really fed up reading about so called Grey Charters. There are either legal Charters run by companies with a valid Air Operating Certificate or illegal Charters. Using the word Grey might perhaps give them some validity. This is a very tragic situation and when the authorities come to their conclusions, all in the industry should be working to ensure that it never happens again.
I totally agree with you “Viking” that "they are either legal Charters run by companies with a valid Air Operating Certificate or illegal Charters". I think the point of phrase "grey" is that, while totally illegal, you average SLF (esp the well heeled type) has not the foggiest idea about the legal position of any flight and has no idea whether an operation is legal or illegal and such ops can easily be made to seem legit. I know there have been many cases in the past where the CAA have prosecuted pilots for illegally operating public transport flights – I’m sure to the recipients of those flights it may well have seemed “above board” and maybe even “a really good deal” - hence my comment about “If it seems too good to be true...”.

I’m really cautious with the tar brush tho as I have come across some truly dedicated Charter pilots and their Charter operators and they work really hard to make it work brilliantly in a really tough business environment. But criminals (which is what we are referring to when using the term “grey”- and I am in no way suggesting that this really sad event was such a situation – it may be a far more sad but totally innocent scenario) have a real skill in seeming legit. After all, that’s precisely how any pro criminal makes their money! Hope that helps “Viking” – with a monkier like that – hate to upset you too much! Oh, and H 'n' H is ususally broke - so can't make money "legit" and seems the "black market" for biros lifted from my employer is really flat right now. I've had both of biros in my pocket for months - but no-one down my local is interested in taking them off my hands!

"Eutychus", really pleased to see that you are asking such pertinant questions to protect yourself! I'll defer to others better in the know to answer your question above re "evidence" as I'm a bit out of date now. If more people asked for such information, dubious operators would be put out of business. Sadly, such operators will bank on you being a very, very, very small minority - but for you own safety, "Good on yer!".

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 24th Jan 2019 at 20:53. Reason: Adding last para.