PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 24th Jan 2019, 20:11
BigFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will anything come of the results of the investigation?

I ask this in view of my interest in the Cork Airport Accident, much closer to 8 years ago than the 5 which I suggested in a previous post.

I quote from the central part of the press release issued by the Irish Board after that accident:

The Investigation identified the following factors as being significant:

The approach was continued in conditions of poor visibility below those required.
The descent was continued below the Decision Height without adequate visual reference being acquired.
Uncoordinated operation of the flight and engine controls when go-around was attempted.
The engine power-levers were retarded below the normal in-flight operational range, an action prohibited in flight.
A power difference between the engines became significant when the engine power levers were retarded below the normal in-flight range.
Tiredness and fatigue on the part of the Flight Crew members.
Inadequate command training and checking.
Inappropriate pairing of Flight Crew members, and Inadequate oversight of the remote Operation by the Operator and the State of the Operator.
Systemic deficiencies at the operational, organisational and regulatory levels were also identified by the Investigation. Such deficiencies included pilot training, scheduling of flight crews, maintenance and inadequate oversight of the operation by the Operator and the State of Registration.

In accordance with the Investigation’s objective of preventing future accidents and incidents, a total of 11 Safety Recommendations have been made to various entities as follows:
• Four are made to the European Commission Directorate responsible for Commercial Air Transport regarding Flight Time Limitations, the role of the ticket seller, the improvement of safety oversight and the oversight of Operating Licences.
• Three are made to the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) regarding the number of successive instrument approaches that can be conducted to an aerodrome in certain meteorological conditions, the syllabus for appointment to Commander and the process by which Air Operator Certificate (AOC) variations are granted.
• Two are made to the Operator, Flightline S.L., regarding its operational policy and training.
• One is made to Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea (AESA), the Spanish Civil Aviation Regulatory Authority, regarding oversight of air carriers.
• One is made to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), regarding the inclusion of the approach capability of aircraft/flight crew on flight plans.

I have highlighted those aspects above which most interest7worry me though they may not be the most salient.

¿ Can anyone assure me that these recommendations have been taken seriously by the bodies mentioned ?

I recall clearly that when the report was published it seemed apparent that the Spanish authorities were more than a little lenient on the multiplicity of Spanish-based companies involved at Cork