PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 24th Jan 2019, 17:32
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vanHorck
So in due course we will know if there was anything illegal about this flight, but I doubt we'll ever know what was the sequence of events prior or after the flight into icing conditions I wonder how hard and expensive it would be to have flight data recorders installed in single engine GA planes, when they are fitted out with (part) electronic cockpits, possibly with a locating beacon. We would get so many more valuable lessons. The current FDRs are probably too expensive, but it may become cheaper with the current technology?
From different stories on different shades of the accident reaching me from different sources, I actually fear we may end up not pleasantly surprised by the pieces.

I equipped my aircraft with an automatic digital CVR when I renewed the audio panel and it was a £20 investment. The crucial point for FDR is not the recording, that could be done by the same £20 device. The point will be getting the sensors into the aircraft. Given the EAA initiatives in the US, I believe they could do it fast. Given our National Aviation Agencies and their political shark basin together with EASA, it may take us 10 years.