PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319/A320 Auto Thrust
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2019, 13:25
Bradzim21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A319/A320 Auto Thrust

Let me preface this by saying that I am new to the forum and an aspiring pilot. This is more of a sim question but it will help me prepare for the future. My question is, it is my understanding that Airbus says that the AT should always be on during flight and that it should be in CLB detent until landing/retarding before touchdown. Boeing on the other hand has the pilots control the glideslope by adding or reducing power. From an airbus perspective, when lying with AP off and AT on (CLB), how do you maintain proper glideslope if you are not controlling power? Is it simply the sidestick or is it more complicated? This is assuming I am stable by 1000ft. In my sim, I find myself above or below the GS and I am more or less chasing being on profile. Typically I switch AP off around 1000-500ft in normal weather. On the flip side, I know that some airlines have a SOP on whether or not you are to flying manually with AT on or off. Do any US airlines allow you to fly the 319/320 without AT during landing?