PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 24th Jan 2019, 09:54
hegemon88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icaruss
I may be being obtuse but why would we not trust the FAA database that says Continental TSIO 520? Is there any reason to suspect an unrecorded change to a different engine? What engine might have been fitted which would change the issues?
If you look up N921GG, another PA46, it is still showing a piston Lyco TIO-540-AE2A, whereas I know for a fact that it had undergone a JetProp conversion to a turboprop. It is now powered by a Pratt & Whitney PT6A, FAA doesn't seem to update the engine information.

After reading conflicting information in press reports ("Piper Malibu" with a "single turbine engine") I have checked on the JetProp webpage listing all past JetProp conversions and haven't found the accident aircraft registration there. Having said that, a few conversions on their list have the aircraft identification redacted. Having said that in turn, had it been converted to a turboprop, we would have probably seen by now a photo showing the accident aircraft with a changed look. On conversion the engine cowling length increases dramatically, to accommodate for the turbine PT6A engine length.