PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night rating. 1 hour solo??
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2019, 08:42
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Statistically, SEP night flying is much safer than daytime, though I'm not saying that we should all fly at night rather than day! Also, SEP is safer than twin flying; an engine failure in a twin is more likely to be fatal than an engine failure in a single.
The reasons that night SEP is safer then day is that it is a more controlled environment with better fuel and flight planning and is flown in certificated aircraft. I think Lycoming say that over 90% of their engine stoppages are caused by fuel exhaustion.
No, we don't practice forced landings at night.
I have experienced a total electrical failure at night, when the alternator failed. The first thing that fell off was the transponder, followed by all the radios flickering. We immediately turned off the master switch and of course the engine kept running as if nothing had happened. We then turned off everything, turned the master back on and one com, declared an emergency, turned for the nearest open airfield, were given clearance to land from about 10 miles out, turned everything off again. Of course we'd lost the intercom which made discussing the next steps slightly more difficult, but we formed a plan A and B for lowering the gear (electric pump). Fortunately, it was VMC for the approach and nav was easy. We turned the master back on downwind and got the gear down normally, manual flaps on the Arrow so no problem with the landing. We turned off the runway and turned the com back on. We made contact with the Tower and the huge red lorries with the blue lights withdrew to allow us to park on stand. No particular drama, excellent learning points for me and the student. I must confess to feeling a bit complacent as we settled in to the navex, in the student's own aircraft which was really comfortable, heater on, in the cruise, lovely starlit night. I might have noticed a bit earlier if I'd been paying more attention - isn't there something in human factors about arousal?

TOO